Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Section I, Group III Boys Basketball Tournament First Round: Wayne Valley 58, Kennedy 57


Junior Andrew Keane canned a foul shot with no time left on the clock to boost Valley (No. 6) past Kennedy (No. 11). Keane was fouled hard under the basket as he attempted the game winner at the buzzer. He misfired on the first foul shot, but canned the second.

"I've coached over 700 high school games," said Valley coach Joe Leicht. "I've never coached a team that won a game with no time left on the clock. That's a first. Andrew is the kid that you want on the line in that situation. I knew he'd make one, although we all got a little nervous when he missed the first."

"I was trying to block everything out," Keane said. "But my first shot was way off. After that, maybe the pressure was off. I was just assuming we were going to overtime."

James Grevenitz led Wayne Valley with 16 points. Scott Arkin added 14. Keane finished with 11 points, while Chris Homsi had 10. Jay Mustafa had 12 assists and 10 rebounds. Keane had 9 boards.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Wayne Valley Boys Basketball History

Incomplete: Please help us fill in blanks: skiffodrake@yahoo.com State Sectional Titles 1985, 1997, 2008 State Sectional Semifinal ...