Thursday, November 24, 2011

Football: Pompton Lakes 15, Butler 7



Pompton Lakes vs. Butler, the biggest football rivalry in the state from 1933 to 1980, was renewed Wednesday night. Pompton won, 15-7. When the series ended in 1980, Butler was on a 11 game win streak, making this Pompton's first win over Butler since 1968.



Scott Mahoney, Pompton's head coach, played for Pompton Lakes in the late 1980's. His father was a longtime assistant coach at Pompton.



"The series ended by the time I was in high school," Mahoney said. "But I grew up watching these games. They were always good games, but Butler always seemed to come out on top. In all my years involved with Pompton Lakes football, I never kept a game ball and put it in my house. That's just not my thing. But I'm keeping this one. It's that special."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wayne Valley Boys Basketball History

Incomplete: Please help us fill in blanks: skiffodrake@yahoo.com State Sectional Titles 1985, 1997, 2008 State Sectional Semifinal ...